Chateau de Mouans – Mouans-Sartoux, France
“The original Chateau de Mouans was built in 1504-1510 by Jean de Grasse, and remained in the Grasse family until 1750, when the Villeneuves took control. In 1572 the Pompée de Grasse was assinated, and in 1597 the chateau of Mouans was destroyed. It was rebuilt by Suzanne de Villeneuve, the widow of the Pompée de Grasse. Suffering various amounts of destruction and rebuilding over the centuries, the chateau has finally been rebuilt, especially following the original basic design with its rare triangular form and three towers.
Today the chateau houses an art museum, L’Espace de l’Art Concret, with 25 rooms and two resident artists.”
Text: Provence & Beyond http://www.beyond.fr/villages/mouanssartoux.html
Photograph: Paul Conneally 2016